[AMC-list] Finally! a cracked head

A few weeks back I got another 195.6OHV head and misc. parts from Mark
Rippe. He's got a 64 Classic 2 door, in remarkable shape but with the usual
did-not-torque-head-water-in-cylinder-stalled-sat-rust-solid engine. So this
is four heads I've taken apart, cleaned, examined from these motors, and
though I'm no motor expert the pattern is obvious...

NOT ONE of these engines was standard bore, so it's seems reasonable to
guess that at the end of their life (burning oil, etc) someone did a
teardown, bore, rings and pistons and head, and drove it until it died
AGAIN. Joe has a block at .060 over, so that's probably it's SECOND rebuild.

My car died from crap in the gas tank, but it's engine is a rebuilt. Two of
my recent "donors" suffered from headgasket leaks, the other from excess
block ventilation. That one was interesting, in that the head was very
recently rebuilt with good work -- yet it had a crack between the two valve
seats in #6 bore that was quite expertly repaired.

So my conclusion is -- this is a brick s**t-house of a motor people squeezed
every mile out of; they are very old fashioned, but very reliable if you
torque the @#!@!~@!#!!! head like the TSM says!

So when I picked up this latest head from the shop (along with another two
heads worth of valvetrain parts) I was almost happy when it turned out to be
cracked -- in four places -- because I have been wanting to slice one up
into ribbons on our big bandsaw at work. I wanna see what the story is in
there. I still wanna put a tiny turbo on this thing, 4 - 6 psi, target 150 -
160 hp.

If you care, pics of the cracks are at:
http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Cracked-head/index.html Images are

All of your arguments are invalid.