Re: [AMC-list] He's BAAAACK! With a few new needs.....

Re: [AMC-list] He's BAAAACK! With a few new needs.....

" From: "jerijan baldwin" <jerijan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
" 1-1962 Windshield is cracked.  (I think this is 1961-1962 all models Classic
" and 1962 Ambassador ONLY)  60 and 63 don't fit.  American does not fit.  So
" I need a windshield.

when i needed a windshield for my american, i got one new for $180.
i was told that as long as they had the pattern they can make them.

" 2-Trans slips in reverse.  It's full of fluid, has Lucas additive.  'Hits'
" Reverse with a nice healthy 'thunk' (it 'sounds' healthy...we aren't talking
" 'bad UJoint' thunk, or 'loose diff-gears' thunk,...just the 'in gear'
" thunk..a happy sound)...give 'er gas, and she's clearly slipping.  More gas,
" more slippage.  Forward gears all operate as expected (no yet driven on road
" for upshifts).  Fluid not burned (but it IS old)...original?  Who knows?
"
" []
" Transmission suggestions (and/or parts).  I have encountered shiftless, or,
" umm, 'no backup' trannys before in 2 other '62's.  Both were cured by valve
" bodys.  (strange; why ONLY '62?)
" Aside to Frank: Your ideas on the Flash-O-Matic?  I'd guess you have already
" 'met' this issue...how'd you cure yours?  I haven't yet encounted a 'smoked'
" Flash-O-Matic, just a troubled one (or so)..the '65 American breaks a spring
" on one servo, but that leads to slippage forward if I recall...I wonder if
" this has done the same...

different tranny.  you should have the iron warner [m8 iirc]; the
aluminum warner didn't appear until '63.  fwiw the iron m12 was used
as late as '78 in jag v12s and the related ford fmx family up to '80.
many parts are the same, and of course general procedures.

does it have a kickdown cable?  perhaps it isn't adjusted properly any
more.

also fwiw i've heard one of the ford 4sp autos was based on the fmx.
wonder if it uses the same front pump and separate converter housing?