[AMC-list] He's BAAAACK! With a few new needs.....

[AMC-list] He's BAAAACK! With a few new needs.....

Greetings!

Remember the 'Plain Jane Vanilla' 2 dr Club Sedan I found in Lottsville, VA?

HERE'S HELEN!!!!

http://public.fotki.com/jerijan/antique_cars/the-helen-d-rowe-rambler/first-
days/

This is: 48K, toasted by VirginiaSun on VirginiaShore, original except for
GTO (Gas, Tires, Oil) Starter and repaint of upper surfaces (hood, roof,
decklid), great running (no doubt 48K), solid beyond nearly any other I've
ever seen (absolutely NO previous damage repair, NO current or previous Rust
or repair), Plainer than Jane, Vanilla and 'UnSalted, No Sugar Added',
LoFat, combined. Radio Delete (of course).  Surprisingly, it is
Flash-O-Matic!
The push buttons were off when I got it because the started would NOT stop
'starting' (when it was cranked, it continued cranking until the battery was
disconnected); this removal was someone's attempt at repair.  I just put 'em
back and that was that...  New Starter (why?  Probably for the same reason
as the buttons were off but why argue?  Thanks for the New Starter!)...
Freed up linkages on carb and...fed the fuel pump from a 1/2 gallon jug,
cleaned the points to get spark and....
.....BOY Oh, BOY!!....this baby runs some good!  Smooth, quiet
(relatively)...I am feeding it high test for now...when I drain the tank of
it's 1978 gasoline, I'll refill tank with HiTest for first tank only
(because I intend to put a cleaner thru the first tank to degum the
system)...then back to 87 octane...

Now...problems and the 'HELP ME' call out...
Fuel Pump (double acting) leaks (it pumps, but it leaks).  It can 'consume'
the 1/2 gallon of gasoline in one pretty big hurry!
Water Pump Leaks thru the weep hole.  That means H2O pump is beat.  Pumps,
but dumps...
Brakes need bleeding (and new hoses because they are just TOO OLD for
comfort).  They do work with pumping up.
The following two constitute the worst issues:
1-1962 Windshield is cracked.  (I think this is 1961-1962 all models Classic
and 1962 Ambassador ONLY)  60 and 63 don't fit.  American does not fit.  So
I need a windshield.
2-Trans slips in reverse.  It's full of fluid, has Lucas additive.  'Hits'
Reverse with a nice healthy 'thunk' (it 'sounds' healthy...we aren't talking
'bad UJoint' thunk, or 'loose diff-gears' thunk,...just the 'in gear'
thunk..a happy sound)...give 'er gas, and she's clearly slipping.  More gas,
more slippage.  Forward gears all operate as expected (no yet driven on road
for upshifts).  Fluid not burned (but it IS old)...original?  Who knows?

SO...
Who has:
Water Pump (195.6 CID OHV)
Fuel Pump (195.6 Cid OHV)  Double acting.
Transmission suggestions (and/or parts).  I have encountered shiftless, or,
umm, 'no backup' trannys before in 2 other '62's.  Both were cured by valve
bodys.  (strange; why ONLY '62?)
Aside to Frank: Your ideas on the Flash-O-Matic?  I'd guess you have already
'met' this issue...how'd you cure yours?  I haven't yet encounted a 'smoked'
Flash-O-Matic, just a troubled one (or so)..the '65 American breaks a spring
on one servo, but that leads to slippage forward if I recall...I wonder if
this has done the same...

I want to get this car 'up and running' as fast as I can so it can be
'squirted'...

When 'done', this will end up costing approximately $1,000 or so (I paint
'em myself IF my body allows me.  That remains to be seen.) and the same is
true with the interior...new covers from Autocraft will complete the
interior just fine...and they are no more than $250 for the bestest, half
that for 'Vanilla' ones.  This unit is far too 'boring' for crappy cheap
originals..but we'll see what it ends up with...Elmhurst Green isn't the
pleasantest beautifulest color when there is no 'accent' trim...  (anything
this 'cheap' looking needs SOME shaking of the 'looks' else you'll fall
asleep staring at it.  It's such an Econobox that even brought back to
'absolutely showroom' (which is actually NOT a long way off time and/or
buckwise), it is NOCalorie EyeCandy.  If some cars 'look sweet as
candy'...this one has all the 'sweet' appearance of, say, 'unsweetened
Baker's Chocolate' (which is actually quite bitter).  I guess what I'm
saying is, 'original notwithstanding, this baby NEEDS some
frilly-something'...Whitewalls at the very least, dual outside mirrors,
perhaps 'wheeldiscs', and a pinstripe or two.  For the interior, I think the
pattern for the next upward classic would work better then the original
crappo; this not because it's not pretty, but because it's downright
unattractive.  At least it'll look a mite 'richer'.

Now...Next: The Packard

I acquired this due to 'wishful' thinking episode in September...before "I
Died" (more or that some day, not now) and before the house burned down.
After finally visiting it, reality (do I HATE REALITY!  It is SUCH a
drawback to have to act grown up, responsible, mature and stuff) mandates a
new plan for it.  Chroming it is prohibitive, it needs what 'Helen D Rowe'
does at very least, and Packard 'stuff' outcosts Rambler 'stuff' by no less
than 'double', but often three and fourfold...(a 'Rambler' Script can cost
$10, a "Packard" script (the 1/4 panel script in Annodized gold) is as high
as $250.  Imagine the cost of NOS stuff like a bumper?  I've not a prayer of
funding a Packard 'fixin'...but the Rambler stuff?  MOST of it I have
(except what is outlined above: oddly, if this were 'Ambassador', I'd have
the V8 fuelpump, waterpump (Both NOS) and even the entire tranny!  (But no
windshield)..Oh, well..

So...Anyone want a 1955 Packard Patrician?  It 'real' and, in my best
judgement, between a '5' and a '4' condition wise (making it 'worth' in
excess of $3,000 according to 'old Cars price Guide').  It DOES crank.  Last
driven 1969.  I'm into it for $1800 right now (while it remains in
Martinsburg, WV.)  Saturday PM it goes (likely) to Tennesee unless something
else can be arranged.  That will add $200.  Anyone?  Don't everyone yell at
once please...
(*Jj looks around for 'hands in the air'*)
Anyone??

http://public.fotki.com/jerijan/on-a-july-morningup/wva-packard-and-sha/

All that said,
Who has what?
Who wants what?

Let me know..
My mailer MAY NOT work, so any and all replies to BOTH addresses below:
jerijan@xxxxxxxxxxx
AND
Jerijan@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Folks...