Re: [AMC-list] 58 American - rust in

Real fuel line says FUEL on it, the rest is vacuum signal or "underhood"
hose, and it's lousy with gasoline in it. Most of the decent Gates brand
fuel line I buy seems to have fabric in it. I think the carb-pressure hose
doesn't sell, so it's all good for 15psi (TBI) which is of course slightly
overkill for 3 - 6 psi carbs.
(There's "transmission cooler" hose too, and if you run ATF through fuel
line it gets eaten by hot ATF. Right hose for the right job. Fuels these
days are much more finely crafted with small molecules that eat things. I
wouldn't mess.)

My "old" "new" hose stiffens somewhat with age and use, but none of it is
scary, and I always toss old hose when it's not near-perfect when I pull
something for repair or maint.

No way I'd run hose more than for coupling steel (not copper, not aluminum)
in any place close to the ground -- road debris, sand-blasting, heat, water,
curbs, highway patrol road flares, grass fires, whatever... You can bend
straight sections of steel lines easily especially if you don't care about
100% resto concerns. Go slow, bend slow, test, bend, test, bend... whole
care re-plumbed in two hours. Seeing that you need to do it only every 15,
20 years it's nothing!

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 22:33, <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> it was just this last january that 10% ethenal was manditory here. and when
> that change happend, i had fuel lines that were replaced about 3 years ago
> get soft and mushy. i probably got screwed with some of that stupid chinese
> junk i guess. i thought the rubber lines were suposed to have been ethenal
> safe years ago because other places were using it. i think thats a reason
> im
> having carb issues now also. my tank was off and cleaned out years ago, but
> havent used ethenal fuel in it before. and now since i put it together and
> got
> it back on the road, i have had to use the ethenal fuel. dave stohler
> www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules

All of your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.