Re: [AMC-list] rebuilding older cars (was: cash for clunkers)

tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> said:

>If anyone here wants to argue that dumping CO2 etc into the air at the
>present rate is OK or unimportant, well, that belongs in a flat-earth
>conference or something. It's not even arguable.

Yeah, dumping CO2 etc into the air at the present rate is NOT OK.  We should be dumping a lot more into the air.

Whether extremist regulatory measures are passed or not, as long as there is population growth and as long as we continue to move further & further away from a brutal, hunter-gatherer existence, emissions of all sorts will continue to increase.  That is a fact.

However, it is a problem that will eventually solve itself.  Sequestered carbon (in the form of oil & coal fields) are almost all declining in production.  The Chinese and others are increasingly locking up any production they can get their hands on; and they aren't so eager to diminish production or bettering their standard of living in the name of saving the planet; and I can't blame them.  We happened to jump on the supply early only because we had an economic system able to put that supply to use.  Well, it got us our current standard of living, and frankly I can't see everyone else in the world not aspiring to that standard.  In the short term, that means increasing consumption of existing resources, not decreasing.  In the long term, other sources will be found to propel an advanced lifestyle -- but it will come about not because our alleged betters in government ordered us to find them, but because the free market will treat declining supply as an opportunity to develo
 p new
 alternatives.

>The air and ocean isn't an infinite toilet to crap in.

I agree, to a point.  I am an environmentalist, just not one who thinks conservation should be required of "everyone else but me" (like Al Gore).  I try to make sure my vehicles are properly maintained, have no leaks, etc.  I spent $500 earlier this year to replace perfectly good old 5-gallon toilets in our house with 1-gallon water savers; I installed low-volume showerheads when we moved in.  I've spent additional money replacing 60-watt incandescent light bulbs with 14-watt flourescents at first; now I've started buying 1 and 2-watt LED lighting.  We keep our outdoor security light off now because we have solar LED lights that last all night and still provide security illumination.  I probably recycle a bigger portion of our trash than anyone else in my neighborhood.  I have been experimenting with PV panels and eventually I'm going to spring for an array.

None of these things I do because they save me money -- because the fact is that they don't.  Nor is do I do them **primarily** due to my environmental concerns, although they are a factor.  Rather, I'm trying to reduce my energy use because I absolutely loathe sending money into the pockets of greedy, racist 6th-century tin-pot bigots who want to set the world afire.

Tom, your point would have been better received had you not inferred that skeptics are stupid flat-earthers.  The best way to bring people over to your point of view is to avoid insulting them before you even start.

MARC MONTONI
Richmond VA
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .