Re: [AMC-list] cash for clunkers

" From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" First, AMC content:  I sold a Rambler back seat to a guy in Los
" Angeles and delivered it to him.
"
" He had a shop and a car lot where he repaired and sold nothing but
" used Saturns.  He said it was a good business.  He had several young
" mechanics that were trained to work on these cars and he could pick
" them up cheap in the LA area, fix them, or cannibalize them for parts,
" swap parts and sell them on his car lot out front and make a profit.

now i think of it, my mechanic did this with tauruses, 10 years ago
when he worked for the bus co a block from my house.  the school buses
didn't keep him busy all day, so they let him work out of an idle side
bay.  he also sleeps only about 4h and didn't have many hobbies then.
he sold over 30 'rebuilt' cars one year.  afaik they all went for more
than his cost, but well under their bluebook value.

he's my mechanic b/c he is a very sharp guy and does top notch work.
these weren't hack jobs, though he was very savvy on what needed to be
right and what didn't matter.

amc content: he worked on my ramblers, and put the hei into my '68.