Re: [AMC-list] rebuilding older cars (was: cash for clunkers)

Re: [AMC-list] rebuilding older cars (was: cash for clunkers)

Fact: Any AMC (or similar vintage) car, in it's most perfect state of tune,
NOT RUNNING, SITTING IN A PARKING LOT emits more hydrocarbons into the air
than a 2008 Honda does RUNNING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS.

If anyone here wants to argue that dumping CO2 etc into the air at the
present rate is OK or unimportant, well, that belongs in a flat-earth
conference or something. It's not even arguable. The air and ocean isn't an
infinite toilet to crap in.

I drive only 45+ year old cars every day. I'm not cheerleading for boring
soul-sucking appliances. But it's a fact that our old cars are tolerated
because they are a tiny minority of cars on the road, and the fact that cars
substantially older than "just a used car" are either long since scrapped or
lovingly maintained.

I love my Nash six, but I can't lie to myself about it's emissions. This
thing had a draft tube in '62! Oil mist comes out the filler neck! It's half
of why I want to put at least TBI on it.

Remember when all roads had a black stripe down the middle of the lane? I
do! That sucked. It doesn't happen any more, and when it does, it's older
cars doing it. In the 60's, even new-ish cars did that. That's the tip of
just one iceberg.

The German model is the best so far, I think. You CAN not recycle your car.
The Japanese model, you CAN'T keep your old car, really. There's more old
Japanese models in the US than Japan.

There's 250,000,000 cars in the US right now. We don't need to save every
one of them.

I don't see the world as ending or collapsing all around me. Hell the world
is a better, more interesting place now. I am glad that Iranians have
Twitter so that we can see that in spite of Fox News that most Iranians
don't hate Americans and want BBQs and travel and, yes, cars, like us.

It's EASIER! to own and drive a 45 year old orphan car now! The internet,
filled with 1,000,000 crazy cultures and religions and XXXXX porn is filled
with car fans and old auto parts and interesting discussions. I think it's
all great. Bring it on!