From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, July 6, 2009 11:23:02 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] MOTOR WENT BYE BYE!!!!

Could have been the head gasket, but have the head checked for cracks and flatness before putting it back on. That rod will need to be resized, but maybe the crank will be okay. If it was knocking at all, the bearing is definitely shot! Unless you plan on doing this again in a few years you might want to consider pulling the crank out and having it checked, most likely needs turning. On the old Ramblers the crank will drop without pulling the engine easy enough, just pull trans and timing cover. Re-ring and bearing, and it will be good for another 30K miles or so -- depending on how much wear is in the cylinders. I bet it will take you five years to put 25-30K on it now, no?

------------
Date: 7 Jul 2009 00:06:13 -0000
From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx

just got the head popped off. cylinders look great still. no evidence of a
broken ring that i can see. all pistons move up and down. turned motor over
by hand (turns real free) and AHH HAAA!!! #6 rod cap has come loose. not off,
just loose. probably destryed the bearing. hopefully no damage to crank or rod
so i can get new bearings and put in. i hope to find new rings also so i can
go ahead and stick new rings in while im at it. wouldnt hurt while i have the
rods loose for new bearings. i think maybe i was just intime before any
serious damage was done. and i think my smoke was coming from cyl #'s 2 and
5. looks like the head gasket was alowing it to suck oil past. i hope thats
all it was. didnt see no visible cracks i the head. needs lots of cleaning.
lots of oil deposit on those 2 pistons and chambers. hopefully things will be
ok.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"