From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, July 6, 2009 9:03:23 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Need Door Gaskets

No one makes the outer seals, which have to have molded corners. I used a universal rounded seal on top of my doors as a secondary seal and they did reduce air noise a bit, though don't look original. I think the primary purpose of the outer seal is wind noise reduction.

Peter Stathes (www.amcrambler.com) will probably sell you just the front door seals for a four door. If not, you can match it up with the generic 60s door seals from J.C. Whitney or one of the rubber places (Metro is one, can't recall the other big one right now). I did that, perfect match on the door seals, even tucks into the window channel as it's supposed to. I clean the metal with mineral spirits (and wipe the glue edge of the seal) then use regular household contact cement to glue them on. Make the seal about 1/2" too long at first then trim to about 1/8"-3/16" too long and compress the end before gluing the ends together. Otherwise as the rubber shrinks a little over time the ends will pull apart.

Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:03:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I need door gaskets (seals) for the front doors on my 65 American.  I realize that several of the vendors have the 4-door seals, but does anyone make the two part (inner and outer) seals for the door perimeters of the 64-later Americans or just the outer seals?

Also, I just need the front door seals, but I guess I'll have to buy all four huh?  You can read that as Rambler mentality.  I won't be mad.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"