From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:44:38 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] overdrive issues

I've never pulled a manual trans apart that was rusted or pitted inside, not that was still attached to a car anyway. Have seen some that sat in the open off the car and got water in them. Even those are pretty resistant to internal rust due to all the oil slinging around for years, but have seen some of those rusted inside (heck, more rear axles!). It's not a bad idea to pull the cover off and inspect the planetary gearset though. It could have a nicked drum gear or loose planetaries. I've only seen an OD bad due to wear or a nicked gear. Or broken planetary shafts, of course!