Re: [AMC-list] How much HP does an oil pump use

Re: [AMC-list] How much HP does an oil pump use

Maybe easier to figure out what torque it takes to snap off the drive mechanism?
Then you have an idea of how much the max horsepower loss could be?

AMC drives the pump with a simple slotted pump.
What does it really take to break that or wear it out quickly?

I bet somewhere, someone knows the true answer!
How hard would it be to drive a drysump pump with another motor and dyno the engine with and without the pump in play?

Not something the average shop would bother with, but I bet it was done.
GM moved to front crankhaft mounted pump in the 80s on the fwd engines.
I bet they knew exactly how much HP they were talking about when they made the move, though maybe not...

Mark Price
Morgantown, WV 26508
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
"I realize that death is inevitable.