[AMC-list] How much HP does an oil pump use

[AMC-list] How much HP does an oil pump use

On 21-Jun-09, at 11:12 PM, amc-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Now don't go to drastic measure to check this out (like disconnect the pump or drain the oil and do a dyno test) but do you have any estimate as to how many ponies and resultant MPG's are being used to pump oil at highway speeds?? ? Just curious???Dean

Actually, I suspect a dry sump system consumes a little more HP than a wet sump, after all you've got 3-4 scavenging pumps, plus the oil pump all working. Windage tray's and crank scrapers gain HP, by getting the oil ball off of the crank. I suppose the scavenging pumps on the heads help with that as well, by preventing the oil from dripping down on the crank from above. Their big advantage is in the constant supply of oil, in all conditions (acceleration, braking, cornering) and the big capacity they can hold, to allow for consumption by things like loose rings and bearings which do add HP.

But the basic question, how much power does an oil pump consume, is a good one! Probably more than you suspect, although I agree, it's not the place to go looking for a little more ommph, unless you plan on a rebuild after every drive (like a professional race car).