Re: [AMC-list] d@mned holley carb anyway

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 13:02, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tom, the fuel pump doesn't HAVE to be lower than the gas tank, but it will
> last longer if it has a little head pressure on it.

OEMs get to design their systems well, us hobbiests have to work with huge
margins and limited choices. They are push pumps, not suckers, and I was
afraid that climbing a steep hill with a low tank the pump would starve. Not
good! Luckily that particular location on our cars is really convenient and
easy. The fuel line runs right by the area. Length on the suck side is under
3 feet including the pickup.

>  I did go through two pumps, but I got a special deal on some eastern
> European pumps that the supplier was discontinuing.

I do need to find a replacement to toss in the trunk. It's the one item in
the TBI system I think most likely to fail.

> I think you can get a Holley racing mechanical pump that will put out 12
> psi continuously. That should work fine,

I don't think so; FI needs constant pressure, and all diaphragm pumps
pulsate. Not something I'd be willing to screw with. It would be made worse
by the return line; the pump would be oeprating all the time, not just
"pumped up" on the spring, but tapping the cam all the time because overall
flow is high (most of it returns), that's part of the pressure regulation.
ALso it would mess up startup issues; the ECM runs the pump for 2 seconds
before fireup so that there is some pressure. All that complicated software
metering I wouldn't want to mess up.