Re: [AMC-list] d@mned holley carb anyway

Jonathan, I understand your feeling on this, but I've been there and so has Tom. The goo gets through some carbs and will cause the valves to stick, at least on a 196 OHV. I guess it's not concentrated enough in the gas to gum the carb up, but the heated fumes get in the valve guides and cause the valves to stick, which causes bent pushrods. I haven't heard of this problem in any other engine, might just be a design quirk of the 196. Could be the specific model carbs also. I was running a WCD 2V, not sure what Tom had, I think a Holley 1909 1V. Some model carbs, like the Carter RBS, is more sensitive to sticky gunk than others.
---------
Really?  I've just been through the cleaning-out-digusting-gas-tank-goo
routine with the resurrection of my '63 Ambo, and what came with it was
*carb* problems.  Specifically, the gunk was sticking the float bowl
needle valve shut, and killing the motor due to starvation.  A not very
pleasant situation out on the highway.

I'd be very surprised if that stuff made it as far as the valves without first creating other problems elsewhere.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts