Re: [AMC-list] d@mned holley carb anyway

Okay Dave, I'm gonna chastise you a little. Back in the 60s the carbs were great, but they ARE 40+ YEARS OLD NOW. So things aren't going to always be great, and they do wear out. I just hate it when people criticize the design of old stuff because it's well worn and no longer works right!! I see you cooled down and dove into it, finding the problems, so I'll lay off now... I had problems with one of my Carter WCD 2V carbs. Rebuilt it a couple times, finally got another core and it was much better. Have an NOS one in a box now, never run! Don't know if I'll use it, but don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. Tom, the fuel pump doesn't HAVE to be lower than the gas tank, but it will last longer if it has a little head pressure on it. The rotary type are made more for pushing rather than sucking. As long as it's not much higher than the gas tank (level with or lower preferred) and it's not far from the tank it will work fine. Putting it in front of the axle is a little farther away than I like, but if you're also mounting it lower than the tank the little bit of head pressure will cancel out the distance. I always mounted mine right behind the axle on the right side, which puts it about level with the top of the tank. No head pressure, but no more than 3 feet (including pickup line in tank) to "suck". That worked fine from 1999-2003. I did go through two pumps, but I got a special deal on some eastern European pumps that the supplier was discontinuing. They actually lasted better than a Carter I used, but this is with a 40 psi system. I think you can get a Holley racing mechanical pump that will put out 12 psi continuously. That should work fine, but I bet finding one to fit an AMC six would be tough! Heck, just the arm would need modifying... you can do that! ;>
-----------
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:00:25 -0700
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

My plan is, GM ECM 1227747. It's the one Howell uses, but it's also popular
and VERY easy to adapt, to basically make an electronic carburetor. Needs
three things annoying to do:

12 psi TBI electric fuel pump system

fuel return line to tank

oxygen sensor in the tailpipe

THe pump has to be LOWER than the fuel tank -- but lucky us, every AMC
chassis I ever saw the inside of the "frame rail" right before the rear axle
kickup is a perfect location.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts