[AMC-list] Help for identifying Rambler (GEN-1) V-8s!!

[AMC-list] Help for identifying Rambler (GEN-1) V-8s!!

If you have a 250/287/327 out of a car please take a photo of the area behind the passenger side (right) head and where the distributor mounts (may be a number nearby) and send it to me! If the intake is off I’d really like the casting number on the block also (it’s under the intake...) so I can identify the year range of the engine.

Why? Well, a discussion on one of the forums has brought to light that not all 327s have the bore cast into the top of the block behind the right side head. One fellow reported that his engine had a "3" where the bore usually was, and it is a 327 by casting number and actually measuring the bore. Larry Daum reported that late model 287/327 engines had a letter code cast in place of the bore (G for 287, E or F for 327 -- the "3" noted above *could* be an E). I've never really paid attention to this, never had a GEN-1 V-8 out of a car, and it's hard to see that area when the engine is installed. AMC used more than one vendor for castings (as well as cast some of their own blocks), so it's possible that different foundries may have used different codes for the different sizes. Another poster has an early (1957) 327 that has the number "2" cast near the distributor and a 250 with "1" in the same location (no bore or marking behind the head). The casting numbers verify that these are early engines (there's only one casting number for the 250 block). What I need is a bigger sampling to determine if the markings are year specific or overlap. If they overlap I would assume that the different foundries used different marking codes. I really just want to determine how to successfully determine what size a GEN-1 (Rambler) V-8 is without removing a head. The ones with the bore cast in are easy, but others??

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts