From: "tom jennings" <tomj@xxxxxxx>
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:54:50 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Fw: window regulator stripped/suggestions?

Sad to say, they were great in the early 60's, then terrible in 1970. Did
they improve them after that? Man they are crap. No way to decently
lubricate them. Door hinges too, and in Hornets, door skins crack. My 63's:
original hinges, original (probably) window regs. It's a PITA to lube them
(the American's, I took out at part of the car rejuve) but they are like a
new car... if new cars had crank-up windows. Never have to slam the door of
the early cars, just let it go gently... click.

Maybe 70 was a bad year. New design intro. Do the later
Hornet/Concord/Gremlins have those door issues still?

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:08 AM, Armand Eshleman <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> wow,
>
> I knew there was a reason I push down or pull up on the window with one
> hand
> while I rotate the window crank with the other.
> I have been moving windows up or down in the white Javelin like that for
> ever. But I thought by 72 that AMC had modified the window mechanisms to
> relieve the issues.
>
> Does anyone have a history of window crank improvements?
>
> did they get better over the years?
>
> they are somewhat interchangeable aren't they??
>
> Armand
>

> > Hi He's my problem.
> >
> > My 72' Javelin window regulator window crank splines are stripped. The
> the
> shaft coming out of the door panel upon which your place the window handle
> on the splines and screw in the bolt that keeps its secure. Now the problem
> is that the spines on the regulator are stripped.
> >
> > Years ago I had this problem and there was a repair kit/adapter that
> slipped over the splines and you used two allen head screws (one on each
> side to center it up) to secure an adapter and you installed the window
> handle onto it.  Haven't sent them in years.
> >
> > Jim Craft in Nashville/Bethpage TN.
> 6:54 PM

All your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.