Re: [Amc-list] Trunnions for Tom Jennings

Re: [Amc-list] Trunnions for Tom Jennings

YEah, those are trashed. Years of grinding parts without lube did that. And
all they need is lube every 30,000!

Were the caps tight in the arms? If so, you're up one, it's tough to find
arms.

I would NOT re-use the caps, I'd replace caps and trunnions. The worn caps
will eat good trunnions. Used is fine; mine have 300,000 miles and I lube
'em every year, last time I had them apart they were like new.

Grease seals: Most of the AMC parts guys have 'em, but these days, I'm using
generic O-rings. There's nothing fancy about the seals; they just keep crap
out. They should be close fitting but not tight. When you grease things
normally, then wipe it off with your finger, that's all that's needed to
keep crap out.

NOS trunnions (!$$$!) will come with "new" caps,  but all that old rubber is
old and stiff... hence my using O-rings. they're cheap enough to buy a size
above and below and just leave the extras in the junkbox!

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Wayne E LaMothe <superglider@xxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Sorry to have to send this through the list.
>

> Tom, I left your email addy at work.  The trunnion cap with the grease
> fitting just falls off the trunnion.  I put the cap on the other side and
> the threads are tight.  It appears that the shaft of the trunnion has
> worn down, probably due to improper installation wihen the PO redid the
> bushings.  They are cracked now but they sure as heck are not original.
> Pics are at
>
> The cap on the left is snug on the threads and the one on the right is
> loose as a goose.
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Superglider/69%20Ambo/P1010193.jpg
>
> You can see a visible difference between the good side (left) and the
> side where the cap will not stay on
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Superglider/69%20Ambo/P1010192.jpg
>
> Guess I can kiss this one goodbye eh?  BTW, where can I get replacement
> grease seals?
>
> Thanks
>
> Wayne
> Wayne & Lisa (Skeezix), Bolton Landing, NY,
> http://www.superglider.thinkhost.com/
> AMO#8454 <http://www.superglider.thinkhost.com/%0AAMO#8454>,  82 SX/4, 258
> auto
> 69 Ambo coupe, 401, M12, 66 Ambo 990 Wagon, 327,PW,PB,PS,posi,AM/FM,AC
> 2003 FLHTCI, 2000 WJ Limited
> 2001 Cherokee, 2002 STS Northstar

All your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.