Re: [Amc-list] Spring Flush

On 3/22/2009 10:16 AM, Armand Eshleman spouted this sage advice:
> I'm seriously thinking of getting the white Javelin operable again for the
> year after it's long winter sleep. The weather has warmed up and most of the
> snow is gone. We need a couple of good spring rains to clean the winter
> debris off the street, and I will be able to take the car out for a cruise.
>
> I put Sea Foam in the cylinders and blocked off the carburetor and exhaust
> last fall to keep air movement through the engine to a minimum. I rotated
> the engine over every so often with the belts. I will have to plug in the
> engine heater to get it warmed up before cranking the engine and getting it
> running because it has 40 weight racing oil in it and the temperatures
> around here are still pretty cool.
>
> I have five quarts of old Red Line 20W50 synthetic lube and two gallons of
> old 20W50 Amsoil synthetic lube.  The containers have never been opened. I
> asked an Amsoil representative about using old synthetic and he said it
> would be absolutely OK. He said the synthetic lubricants don't deteriorate
> over time in a sealed container. What I'm thinking of doing is draining out
> a quart of the Valvoline racing oil that's in the engine now and adding a
> quart of engine flush. I'm hoping that will clean out the old stuff pretty
> good. I've heard that the pan should come off after doing this. I was
> wondering what you guys think. I have religiously changed oil every 2000
> miles or so since I've owned the car.

If you're changing oil every 2000 miles, it's unlikely there is much of
a sludge problem. Also, synthetic oils typically have a lot of
detergents in them and will clean the engine pretty well. When I
switched to Mobil One in my last Ram (it had about 20,000 miles on it
when I switched), the first few oil changes (which I did at regular
intervals) got a lot of stuff out of the engine. After all the sludge
was out, I started changing oil every 10,000 miles and it came out
almost as clean as it went in. I would just drain the oil, change the
filter, fill with a synthetic, and not worry about it.

One thing I will say is that 20w50 is very heavy oil. Unless you have
loose bearing clearances (like on a race motor), you'll get better gas
mileage and easier cold weather starting with 10w30.

Matt

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH