Re: [Amc-list] Late engine/trans into earlier body...(83 Spirit running

Re: [Amc-list] Late engine/trans into earlier body...(83 Spirit running gear into a 1963 Breadbox)

The cost to shoe horn that AMC into a pre 64 American is prohibitive for some, not so for others. You need to consider what you have and what will the end result be. Yes, maybe a better choice is available, maybe not.
Some years ago I had a Pinto wagon and a spare 390/top loader sitting around. The waggie cost me $35 and the 390 nothing. A ford guy told me the same thing about stuffing in that 390 as you were telling him about the 258. He said emphatically IT WON'T FIT! Well, I bet you can guess what I proceeded to do........
That 390 fit just fine in that pinto, but it was tight. I would not do that as a daily driver but I sold it to a guy who raced it. That 390 made the car way too front-heavy, but it did fit and did not cost that much to do as  had the materials on hand and I love a challenge. Plus the car ran wicked gnarly.
So my point is that just saying in bold letters that it won't fit goes against what this hobby is all about. Try it or at least look at it with a critical eye before saying what won't work. That said I won't beat on this dead horse any longer.....Russ