Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 20:04:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] aluminum 196
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

well, last weekend i got another 62 classic. this one is 4 door. 15,000 miles on the odo, last tagged in 73. aluminum 196/t96od. going to be putting the t96od in casper. hopefully the motor will be ok and i can put it in my 63 440H. as long as the oil pump/filter dont interfere. i think they will. motor is stuck. gotten 4 cyls freed up, and gotten it to move about 3/4". front 2 cyl still pretty tight and keeping it from moving much. just a little tiny bit each day. havent had much time to mess with it this week. an hour or 2 each night. found out the c.i. head gasket will NOT work with the al motor at all. the distance from the head bolts on the left side to the cyl are over 1/2" wider, along with a lot wider on the right side. i thought maybe i could use some of that right stuff to seal the right side around the pushrods, but nope, wont even come close. so, on the look for a headgasket for the al block now.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"