Re: [Amc-list] possible welder purchase info

Re: [Amc-list] possible welder purchase info

Marty,

A good portion HF stuff cheap junk (which is okay in some cases) and
some of their electrically powered stuff looks like an electrocution
waiting to happen. I would not skimp on a welder. Also, you don't want
flux core wire if you are thinking about using it for body work. Brand
new decent quality 110 volt MIG welders set up for gas run about $500 -
$600 (usually you get the gas bottle included for that) but you can
probably find a used one (or a warranty repair) for less. If you go with
used, stick with a known brand (Clarke, Lincoln, Miller, etc...). I
personally have a unit made by Century which is a lower end model but it
has served  my well. I would think hard about buying one since Century
was purchased several years back and it may be difficult getting repair
parts (consumables are no problem) if I need them. On the other hand,
I've had it for 12-13 years now and haven't had any problem.

Speaking of the gas bottles, it is best to get those from the place that
you'll buy your gas from. Some of them are very picky about filling
bottles that come from other places. There is also a very good chance
that they will selling welding equipment and they can help you pick
something that will work for you.

The two wire sizes you list are pretty common but .030 is too big for
most of the sheet metal on the car. I use .025 on things like quarter
panels, .030 on rockers and cowl repairs, and .035 on really thick stuff
like brackets.

The duty cycle of the welder you listed is pretty bad. The duty cycle is
the amount of weld time you can get without having to let the welder
cool down. For example, over a 100 minute time period, that one will
only allow you to weld for either 10 or 18 minutes. The rest of the time
will be spent waiting for the unit to cool down.

You'll also want to pick up some welding gloves and an auto-darkening
welding helmet. You can use one of the flip-up types but the
auto-darking helmet makes it much, much easier to weld.

Matt

On 3/12/2009 3:52 PM, Marty Bricker spouted this sage advice:
> I've never done any welding but would like to do some.  That being said, HF has a Chicago Elec 90 amp flux wire welder for sale for $88 (reg $150).  Specs are: .030 or .035 wire, duty cycle 10% @ 80 and 18% @ 60 amps, 63-68 amps (low) and 79-90 (hi).  None of this really means anything to me so I have no idea if this is good for anything.  I was looking to do things like small rust repair patches, possibly filling in small holes in sheet metal where badges were mounted.  Repairing/replacing things like battery trays, etc.  Thanks for any input/advice.
> Marty

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com