From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:51:48 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Concord Engine Question - 4.0 EFi  Six

Okay guys, we're NOT going to let this simple subject get out of hand! Yes, I said WE -- including myself.

It seems we all agree that any of the Jeep EFI systems are great for a daily driver. I haven't seen any split blocks, but I don't hang around heavy duty four wheelers or mud racers who push the engines to the limit either. It is a fact that Chrysler DID lighten the blocks around 91, and added some of that material back beginning in 96, along with a stud girdle to increase stiffness. Pre 91 blocks don't need the girdle and are stiffer than 91-95, and very likely 96-06.

So, lets end this "dispute" with these facts. If you're building an all out race engine or some engine that will be run under extreme conditions the Renix era block is most likely the strongest, and therefore "the best" for such applications. For a more normally driven car almost any of the 4.0L engines will work just fine, even with modest performance increases.

As far as electronics, 87-90 Renix computers do have some superiorities, but are harder to diagnose and service, and a bit harder to install with the computer needing to be inside the vehicle and not under the hood. For ease of service and installation the 91-95 systems are preferred -- computers are under the hood and inexpensive diagnosis sytems are available (OBD-1). The only problems with 96-06 systems are that the gauges work off the computer, making it harder to use old style gauges, and most have built in security systems that can be difficult to over ride. Which is a shame, as OBD-2 is more user friendly and there is a lot of aftermarket support. I could easily rig a new digital dash for my 63 Classic by plugging into an OBD-2 system, but the speedo cluster is part of what gives it that Rambler look-and-feel, and I don't want to part with it.

The different systems can be used on different year blocks and heads, just change all the appropriate sensors also. In other words, a 91-95 OBD-1 system isn't hard to retrofit to the stronger 87-90 Renix block. Just change all the sensors also, as they read differently.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"