[Amc-list] Overheating - not starting

My 68 AMX starts from cold great.  Runs like a champ - man I love this car! But when I stop, turn off the engine it won't restart.  Slow or no turn over like a bad battery.  Smells a little hot but not too bad.  I've checked the radiator, battery is good and on a slow charger at all times, even added a heat shield blanket for the starter.  The voltage regulator is new and very hot  but I'm thinking it from trying to start the engine.  After it cools down and with the battery cables off for the cool down period I reconnect and it starts like new.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.