[Amc-list] Concord Engine Question - 4.0 EFi Six

[Amc-list] Concord Engine Question - 4.0 EFi Six

So, Basically you don't have any real reasons for not liking the 91-95.

That's what I thought...

* Absolutely.

Those are all reasons that really make zero difference for someone who wants to put a 4.0L in and drive the car.

* I said as much - and quote:]

"I'd guess that as a DD running unloaded in a light car - it would be ok - but again, Chrysler kept adding back ECM control to each ECM system used after the Renix." .

Renix does indeed work well, when it works.

* Clean Contacts are the key.

It's now ancient science.

* I'VE heard this said about the ODB I & II systems.

  All EFi is ancient science as it's been around awhile if time
is the consideration.

If it is functionality, the Renix is still ahead
of the ODB I & II - only thing ever said is better is that the ODB systems
retain data when shut off - so diagnosis is easier.

The reasons why Chrysler did or did not do something with renix is also pointless.

* Just filling in blanks Mark... ?

Block design? More worthless info for a daily driver.  None of these engines has actual problems related from block design changes.

* If cylinder walls were egging due to casting weaknesses - they may still run
ok with high mileage - but why spend the same amount of money buying into
one of these when one can get a different year 4.0 with better design & materials ?

Maybe some are noisier? Tell the guy with 300,000 miles on his 91-95 4.0L that it is a bad engine???

* Ambassador to  AMC Swap Nation  I am not -
but recall , I did say that Chrysler
would have not done any of these improvements if they weren't getting complaints -
make sense ?

He can put together a car from any 87-95 and make it run and drive.

* And I could date Siamese Twins - doesn't make the odds of winning a Sack Race
any better.

If he wants to be able to learn to maintain it EASILY without a steep learning curve, custom ecu etc, The 91-95 is that system.

* Plug in the plugs into the sockets they go to - and where's the Beef ?

Using the GM ECM - as it is such wide usage in JEEP builds - I wouldn't
consider Custom.

You know as well as anyone the Renix system requires you to learn how to work on it.

* I upgraded my knowledge on EFi systems by readings on the Renix.

The sectors of Engine Data the Renix covers to properly monitor the engine -
is what is optimum for engine performance.

The '91 - '95 systems don't take as many readings as many times - which
is not the way it should be .. elewise - there wouldn't have been concurrent
'upgrades' to the OBD ECm's.

 You won't find many shops left that can scan a system, let alone work on one.

* Like I'd want to pay $65.00 an hour to a Bubba shop - remember, I own AMC .

In 5 years of ownership - one crank position sensor went out.

The Islamic Auto Repair guy in town - barely speaks intelligible inglish
and knew the problem after a brief discussion.

Parts in stock? Fuhgeddaboutit, maybe they can order them???

* Sure - try AutoZone .  Get a better price than the Dealership
and Waaaaaaaay faster.

You are after perfection for your dream turbocharged all everything vehicle.

* "Blown is Beautiful" - but I mentioned Turbo's in reference to the Renix Systems capabilities of handling differing load conditions - without Ping.

He is just trying to make his wagon drivable and you point him away from the easiest system to buy install and use.

* He'll pay the same amount of money for the better options - and I pointed
him toward the better engines:

Renix or '98 NVH

And - advised him to get a Donor Cherokee - so he'll unplug the needed from
one and plug them back in to the driver.. what could be simpler ?

Give the guy a break and don't try to tell him to stay away from a system just because you don't think it is perfect for YOUR needs.

*  Excuuuuuuuuuuse me while I take a Pill Break.... there..... I feel Much better now.

T.

Mark Price
Morgantown, WV 26508
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5