--------------
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 15:30:22 -0500
--
From: Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Looking at your reply Brien it looks like you are saying nah to using the 91-95 4.0L for the swap?

Since those are my preference years for 4.0L swaps I would like to know why you say nah?

Those years of the OBD efi are most swappable, easiest to do and wire, less sensors and hoops to get working than a 96 up OBD II system.  The 91-95 is what Chrysler based the swap harness and efi on. I have a 91 Wrangler system in my American and it has been performing flawlessly since install.

From: Brien Tourville <hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Correct_ah_Mundo - :]

 Because ..  IMO and Others  .. the Renix engines were designed & built really well - the blocks - can't speak to the Ni-Si  contents in these years but have read the Kudos from builders on their impressions while machining them - and unlike the '91 - '95 blocks - they like 'em.

Chrysler removed material from the engine blocks - to lighten them and to save money in the '91 thru 95 engines .

I believe materials used at the Foundries were of a lower cost as well from the machining comments I've read - kinda the difference between a richly dense quality & one that is drier & less dense.

In keeping with your premise that 'less is more' applied to EFI engine management - I disagree  .

Chrysler did a 're_rethink' like AMC did with their 258 block - so much so they had to add a Main Stud Girdle to stiffen the blocks.. and kept adding back block material casting run after casting run - which led to the NHV Blocks - Noise Harmonic Vibration - with lettering NVH cast right into the blocks of latter years  .

Cash strapped Chrysler would not have done any of this - if there weren't obvious problems that would cost them in service complaints & ratings.

There were problems with the '91 - 95 engines - wear problems - noise problems - flex problems.

Might just as well get the quality version as pricing is the same.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"