Re: [Amc-list] WHat year 258's get water intake? Real world advantage?

Re: [Amc-list] WHat year 258's get water intake? Real world advantage?

" From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" You know, most of my 6 cyl AMC's have been mainly Summer use cars and
" all have non-coolant intakes. I am geting ready to switch out the 258
" in my J10 5 speed with an older 258, however, I will be using this for
" the remainder of the cold weather this year (in MO it can go either
" way!)
"
" What year did AMC introduce the Coolant intake?  Is there that big a
" difference in warmup, or is that mainly for emissions? (and
" potentially one more source of leaking!)

'80 iirc.  it doesn't help in warmup because it doesn't do much until
the coolant is hot.  it helps emissions and mileage by vaporizing the
gas, which helps to distribute it evenly.

i can't give an a-to-b comparison, but my '60s 199s all had water
intakes and they ran very well in the coldest weather around here [0*f
+/-].

" Of course, I may go ahead and put on the Clifford with 4 Bbl that I
" have making this moot, but I am have not made a final decision (I may
" also go with the MC 1.08 because I really like the way they run on the
" 258, but I think my mileage will improve with a similarly sized 4
" Bbl.)

offy makes a water heated 4bbl in the '80s style...