Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 08:26:50 -0600
From: Larry Goltry <lgoltry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] starter ring gear
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

All, I've got a '69 Rambler with a 199 CID inline 6 with an Automatic
(Borg-Warner M-36). The starter ring gear is chewed up in a few spots.
According to my research, the starter ring gear is made together with
the torque converter on this model/year. The torque converter with ring
gear is available from Autozone at a hefty price of $177.99 + $90.00
core = $267.99. Hollander's Interchange lists the torque convert in my
Rambler as being interchangeable with a '70 Hornet with the same size
engine. The torque converter for the Hornet is much cheaper: $89.99 +
$27.00 core = $116.99. So, I ordered one. I ass-u-me'd that the torque
converter for the Hornet would come with a ring gear attached. Sill
me.....It did not.

After reading here: http://www.gremlinx.com/AMC-Transmissions.htm near
the bottom of the page under: BELLHOUSING NOTES it states that: The
flywheel also
went up from 153 teeth [btw a common chevy size] to 164 teeth in '72
[btw a
common ford size]. Hmmmm...I wonder if a GM "flywheel" (I am pretty sure
this is referring to the starter ring gear), would bolt right to the
Hornet torque converter. I know that the tooth count on the M-36 is 153
tooth.

So...do I 1. return the Hornet torque converter and just order the
correct part with a ring gear. or 2. try to bolt on a GM flywheel
(starter ring gear) and see if it works. Any input appreciated.