From: "Larry Goltry" <lgoltry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:26:50 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [Amc-list] starter ring gear

All, I've got a '69 Rambler with a 199 CID inline 6 with an Automatic (Borg-Warner M-36). The starter ring gear is chewed up in a few spots. According to my research, the starter ring gear is made together with the torque converter on this model/year. The torque converter with ring gear is available from Autozone at a hefty price of $177.99 + $90.00 core = $267.99. Hollander's Interchange lists the torque convert in my Rambler as being interchangeable with a '70 Hornet with the same size engine. The torque converter for the Hornet is much cheaper: $89.99 + $27.00 core = $116.99. So, I ordered one. I ass-u-me'd that the torque converter for the Hornet would come with a ring gear attached. Sill me.....It did not.

After reading here: http://www.gremlinx.com/AMC-Transmissions.htm near the bottom of the page under: BELLHOUSING NOTES it states that: The flywheel also
went up from 153 teeth [btw a common chevy size] to 164 teeth in '72 [btw a
common ford size]. Hmmmm...I wonder if a GM "flywheel" (I am pretty sure this is referring to the starter ring gear), would bolt right to the Hornet torque converter. I know that the tooth count on the M-36 is 153 tooth.

So...do I 1. return the Hornet torque converter and just order the correct part with a ring gear. or 2. try to bolt on a GM flywheel (starter ring gear) and see if it works. Any input appreciated.