Re: [Amc-list] AMX Stolen

Sometimes simple stuff stops dumb thieves dead. But I assume smart pros
just bring a flatbed truck with winch, chop the battery cable from
underneath and haul it away. A legit looking magnetic sign on the truck
and who would question it?

My Classic has a very old Chapman deadbolt. Lives under the dash with an
ACE key. Hardened cable runs through the firewall, pins the hood shut
and was meant to short the coil to ground. I modified it to drive a
relay that opens the starter solenoid instead.

This very lock saved my 77 Hornet AMX, back in Boston around 1982 (yep,
had this same lock that long!). Medium-quality theives popped the door
lock, got the column lock out, and had needle-nose pliers in there to
start it. ACE lock was slightly buggered but unharmed. Would have worked
but the CHapman prevented it from starting.

Other cars have nothing, but I'm planning on adding a switch and relay,
such that any voltage applied to the coil (pop hood + clip lead, or key,
or jumped under the dash) HONKS THE HORN. For now, I have a clip lead I
use to short the tach (shorts coil). Eh, beats nothing.