Re: [Amc-list] torque tube manual transmissions?

Re: [Amc-list] torque tube manual transmissions?

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" The T-86 behind the 232 and 287 and as a HD option for the T-96,
" and the T-89 was used behind the 327 (and 287 as an HD option).  A
" T-86 was used behind the 290.  The only other manual trans used
" was the T-10 four speed, 66 only.  And of course the infamous and
" venerable T-96 was used behind all 196 and 199 engines, and for a
" few years behind 232s.  I've only seen ONE 196 with a T-86 behind
" it, and that was in an American.
"
" There has to be a short input shaft for the T-86, but I don't
" know who else used that trans that might have a short input
" instead of the V-8 length one.

ford.  they used the t-86 with v8s up to the '67 289, with warner o/d
btw.

folks discovered that one could hybridize the willys t-86 with ford
parts and put a v8 into the notoriously underpowered station wagon.
i've heard this was the start of trans-dapt and the whole engine-swap
business.

the t-96 has a very long tailshaft and is quite long overall.  i'm
surprised that the t-86 is longer.  most ford and gm trannies of the
'60s-'80s aren't as long.  the t-10 and t-5 aren't.

" The early TSMs don't list the trans model number.  I found them by
" going through the disassembly/assembly photos with an 8x
" magnifying glass.  T-86 was used behind the 250/287/232.  I
" couldn't find a photo with the T-85 from any of the 60-67 TSMs.
" It's hard to tell if the casting is a five or six in many of the
" photos, so I'm wondering now if the T-85 was ever used, or if it
" was just used for export or HD option cars.  If you have one, look
" VERY CAREFULLY at the numbers and clean them thoroughly!  I'm
" beginning to suspect the five and six have been confused, or
" maybe AMC used the 85 when they couldn't get enough 86s, as there
" seems to be little difference between them.

afaik the t-85 is a version/variation of the t-89, and the t-90 is
likewise related to the t-86, a lighter duty version iirc.  i know
only of willys t-90s.