[Amc-list] New Noise from T5

The T5 in my 83 Spirit has started making a new noise.  As you release the
clutch, there's kind of a clang or twang about two inches before the pedal
is completely released.  I listened to it from under the car toiday while my
son pushed the pedal in and out.  The noise seems to be coming from the
transmission, in the general area of the clutch.  (No surprise.)  I have not
noticed any changes in how it shifts.  I know very little about the inner
workings of manual transmissions.  Any ideas what this might be?  How
concerned should I be?

Thanks,

Todd