[Amc-list] beaters, was Re: fan pulley/74 hornet

[Amc-list] beaters, was Re: fan pulley/74 hornet

Beaters are interesting to me in a couple of ways. (Hot rod word for old
unrestored car usually daily transpo, etc). Sometimes they're "junkers"
just barely running, but to me, and I think a lot of people, it isn't
that simple.

My Classic wagon is more or less a beater. Meaning it get beat on; I use
the hell out of it. It's got flaws -- floors were partially rusted out
(had factory rubber mats and leaking windshield...) and it was hit in
the rear, folding the drivers side chassis a bit, there's a kink at the
roofline and a buckle in the fender wheel cutout from an accident in
probably the 1970's, that I never fixed. 4-wheel chassis alignment
showed it to be OK and that was 15+ years ago.

The car is sorta fugly. It's often dirty, and has stuff in the back. But
mechanically, it's anything but junk, it's top-notch and right now would
drive coast to coast and back.

It's a "sleeper beater". I see that sort of car around hot rod places,
they're often better cared for than some of the rods! But I just added a
music computer to it, and the controls I made in a scrap of sheet steel
(nicely finished) and I just bolted it to the dash. It's appropriate
here, and done reliably, but it's noooo waaaay a show car. To non-car
people it's just a fugly old thing; but real car people who look (or the
alignment shop that sees it from the bottom) have a totally different
take on it... and their opinion matters ore to me!

Beaters are neater.