Re: [Amc-list] motor motion

Frank Swygert wrote:
> You need to check the bores PERPENDICULAR to the wrist pin for wear.

Oh yeah, but I was checking to see what it was last bored to. Since it's
bored .060 it's end-of-life except for some possible Kanter 80 overs? I
don't have a bore/inside mike, just a caliper (Starrett). Razor-bladed
off the crud at the top (minimal) and surprise, little ridge (could not
feel with my fingernail).

 > I've had a couple that barely had
> any ridge at all, but needed 0.020" to be right. For some reason
> 0.040" pistons seem to be common -- I've got two brand new sets, one
> for an OHV and one for an L-head. Most I've found have been 0.040",
> most common for most other engines is 0.030". I guess machinists
> figure since it can be bored 0.080" or more why not get what you can
> if it needs boring.

I'll have to rely on whatever shop I end up with, and what parts I can
get. I know "on paper" how bores wear but I don't have the experience
for the details. But the next two motors (this, then a new six for that
fancy head I have) I will get more serious.

> Good call on the heads! I wouldn't use an unknown 196 head without
> checking it for cracks. Since the spot is on a corner I wouldn't
> assume a cracked head. Every one I've had that cracked did so around
> one or more exhaust valves.

Were the cracks visible? Not that plan on eyeballing! Off they go the
shop (I think I will ahve time before work tomorrow).