[Amc-list] motor motion

motion as in finally getting some (motion) on building a 195.6ohv.

Popped the head off that "new" motor. No bad news in there, though the
crud build up in the head was fairly extreme -- like over 0.100" think
crap around the edges of the combustion chamber in the head. Pistons
were only typically dirty. Cyl walls, all good shape and no ridge. All
of the bores were 3.185" (parallel with the wrist pin).

There was definitely water in the oil, but not certain yet how it got
there. The head bolts were tight at least, and the gasket all intact
(stuck to head and block and tore on removal). Looks like the front
drivers corner was maybe not tight enough; that's the one that gets the
battery ground. Bolt threads were heavily crapped up, and there was a
wet spot on #1 cyl and a wet spot on the gasket corner.

That would be nice, but I suspect a cracked head. TONS of rust in the
head, these things get run into the ground! Cooling system leaks, crappy
radiator, water no antifreeze. Since it's been bored out .060" it's been
rebuilt AT LEAST once, this motor got used up.

I also stripped down the other head I have, that was very recently
rebuilt and put onto a block that ventilated. It ate all the rod
bearings. How do I know? Besides ventilation, three of the pistons
polished the head a bit via pounding. Didn't hurt the head. THe head is
SPOTLESS, could easily have been tossed on a motor as-is (intake
spotless; water jacket clean. Etc...).

So I have two heads to take the local shop for boilout and crack check.
Won't have any further work done to them now. I wanna stack up parts for
the engine build and decide exactly what it is I'm gonna build.