Re: [Amc-list] Oh generator, thou doth suck.

Frank Swygert wrote:
> The main reason ammeters are rather rare nowadays (is that a word??) is that the average Joe hasn't got a clue as to how to read it! They do know the battery is 12V and the meter should read a little higher when the car is running, and that if they have less than 12V there might be a problem. That's about it! I've got a general idea about how to read an ammeter, but wouldn't want to bet anything on it...

Yeah, it's best left to a computer :-) Seriously -- if you pay attention
(!) you can glean battery and charging state from EITHER. But neither
tells the whole story.

Battery at 11.5V yet taking 20 amps is NORMAL -- if you 2 minutes ago
you were cranking it started in -10F weather after it sat for a weekend.
In Los Angeles it would mean something severely wrong. That's just one
example...

A 2-D table of terminal voltage vs. charging current, there's points on
that map you could mark red-yellow-green for bad to good, but even then
you'd have to account for the cold-cranking and other factors. So
another dimension is needed -- time. If that hypothetical cold battery
above persisted at 11.5V @20amps for 10? 20? minutes, there's a problem.
If it rises to 12.5V after 5 minutes and current drops to 5A, normal. Etc.

That's where the meat computer staring at the gauge comes in.