[Amc-list] Oh generator, thou doth suck.

[Amc-list] Oh generator, thou doth suck.

when i got my alt, i got a lower amperage output. 50 or 60, i forget wich now. the factory wiring was only meant for that small genny, so light wiring. i have modern halogen headlights (x4 when on high beam for mine) and i have a modern stereo. the tail lights are modern halogen 1157 bulbs also, not like they pull much amperage. the headlights pulls the most amperage when running i think. i saw no real reason for a high output alt, other than to burn up my charge wires when i have a low bat. thats why my charge wire only gets a little warm when bat is low. you can barely tell its warmer than any others. i dont even know what gauge that charge wire is. i probably should go thru and re wire all the engine compartment while i have it all out and cleaning things up. what gauge wire would listers recomend for that charge wire off the alt? seems like it might be about 10 or 12 now maybe. im thinking maybe 8??

tom, i know exactly what you were talking about with the momentary confusion of dead bat, but getting a charge. i thought i was chasing around an intermitent electrical connection issue also. till one night, my bat was low, so the lights were dim, and when i would give it rpm's, lights would brighten up. thats when i discovered that ya, at idle, it will put out about 12 volts, but it dont have the amperage....lol.

dave stohler
my rambler pics@
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules