Re: [Amc-list] And he was a goober-tronic! (pushrod wasn't quite pushing

Re: [Amc-list] And he was a goober-tronic! (pushrod wasn't quite pushing)

 > Anyway, the head is off and looks good.

Hmm. Mine were so bad that when cold, if I pressed them open with my
palm, some would stick down. (prop the head up on wood blocks) Look down
the intake ports, do any of them look like this?

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Rebuilt-head

> The rocker arm assembly is a little sticky, though. Hmmmm.

What exactly do you mean by sticky? Like rockers don't rock? Is it
getting any oil up there? If a rocker is stuck that has got to be a
mechanical error, almost certainly assembly, because a part bad enough
to stick would be fairly obvious. There's left- and right-handed
rockers, if you got 'em swapped the pushrods would be at a funny angle
and that could maybe pop 'em off.

When you're adjusting the valves there should be lots of oil flowing.
Here's an MPEG movie I made of top end oiling. This was taken after the
first and before the second head rebuild, *right* before I figured out
the stuck-valve problem, so there's a pushrod missing! But the oiling is
good.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/oil1.mpg

> Frank Swygert wrote:

>> The bent pushrod is worrisome. That's a classic sign that the
>> valves are getting sticky!

I agree. You gotta find this or it will keep coming back and drive you
broke.