Re: [Amc-list] infinite ohms -- not good

Tom J. said:

> It looked and felt fine, even when I pushed the boot back.
> But when I
> cut the boot all the way off, it was arced and melted,
> invisible with
> the boot on. So spark was jumping the gap, adequate at low
> speed, but it
> missed at high speed (are your sitting down... 3000 rpm!)
> and under
> heavy load.
>
> Made a coil wire from one of the older plug wires and its
> fine. Sheesh!
>
> Two problems solved today with no additional money. Good
> old Rambler Mentality.

Now that's what I call good detective work.  Imagine taking that car to a modern shop.  Hey, the plug wire set doesn't include the coil wire....we'll just reuse the old one.  Customer complains:  But it still doesn't run right at speed.  Shop:  Well, we replaced the plug wires like you asked.  Maybe we should look at the distributor, or replace the coil or.........

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA