Re: [Amc-list] Concord is home

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
> " From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> "
> " The main thing is do NOT run the T5 low on oil! They only hold a quart
> " to begin with. That's what killed the one that was in my '83 J10
>
> yeah, trannies really don't like to run dry...  is the amc t5 a
> notorious leaker?

No, it's not really notorious as a leaker.
 I think the bad rep came from the first few years.
AMC started off with a new design trans and they had the gears riding on the shafts, no bearings.
I forget if they are bushed or not.
They spec'd ATF and it was too thin for that application so a bunch of them died untimely deaths!
AMC back pedalled and spec'd their own witches brew of gear lube and additives to superscede the ATF.
That seemed to do the trick, except for some of those cars that never got the message!

Ford and most others spec'd gear lube in the non world class from the get go.
I ran Mobile one 20W 50 synthetic in mine when I got it on the advice of John Elle. I then switched over to Redline MTL a couple of years ago. Since I did not kill it with the 20W50 or the Redline I'm guess either one of those is a good choice!  Mine shifts very smooth for a T5 and like I mentioned I have never so much as opened the case to have a look see!

As a note, the world class have needle bearings between the gears and the shafts and have laminated synchro rings that die if gear lube is used! They take ATF.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV