Re: [Amc-list] '63 Ambo answers to questions noone asked!

Re: [Amc-list] '63 Ambo answers to questions noone asked!

Greetings again..
Oh, yeah...absolutely right Frank...EyeCandy was what the brochures were
printed for and with!
The engines are little pieces of artwork and manifest absolutely nothing
pursuant to 'valid' when compared to 'under the hood' of the real things...
Whereever did they get THOSE colors??  I've seen purple, blue, yellow, etc,
etc...and it was one of my first lessons...do NOT use the brochures for
historical reference beyond specs...and even those 'photographs' are a mite
deceiving.
I found that in a lot of cases there aren't photos at all, but 'renderings'
which stretch, shrink, heightening, lowering, making the 'subject' more
appealing, albeit inaccurate!
The colors of the engines and trannys are beyond funny!  And absolutely NOT
to be used as documentation for your restoration...unless, of course, you've
a sense of humor...

Again, Frank, I've been 'playing' this stuff for quite some time...and I
actually recall going to dealers as a kid (ok, while 'younger') and paying
careful heed to what the underhoods looked like...
Things like...
What color was where?
Where does 'body color' go, and where does 'black' begin...and which
black...flat, semi-gloss, or gloss??
What was painted and what was not?
What colors went where?
What,  if anything, did the colors dictate (like engine size, etc)..
So when my 'restoration' years began, the first dictate of the job was to
discover what 'was original' to the unit at hand...includeing type of paint,
quality of install (ie, mottling of metallic colors, runs in the paint,
paint-overs (as in painting over dirt, etc)...
This isn't such a simple job, as the chemicals used in removing the 'yuck'
can alter the color...so that being said, yuck removal was a slow
job...sometimes the paint would come right off with the yuck...(a lot of
times,by the way since no primers were used under the hood!).
Whenever I did this, I marked or photographed these for documentation
purposes...
In doing so, after a while it becomes quite clear what is 'original' and
what is 'afterwards'...
I have found odd colors in odd places...
Differential carriers INSIDE are a reddish-brick color..and some outside as
well (don't ask me which at the moment..I am getting old and can't remember
EVERYTHING!)  The undercarriage of Nash in '54 was an ugly as hell green.
(why?)  Ditto the underside of the Fulton Visor...'KellyGreen' or something
like it.  Ugly!!  I never figured out why 'almond' for the big 6...nor did I
ever figure out why Red valve covers over a deep gray (almost metallic)
block (on the early '60s Rambler 10 series (known as 'Rambler Six', NOT '01'
which was American which engines were 'universal Gray')...

Well, I have said enough to get me into trouble for a while...so off to the
shovel again I go...

Jj

(Oh, I DO want verify or disprove on the 327 engine colors.  So...get out
the parts cleaners folks and ...well, you know).

By the way...Transmission color was engine color...and the engine color thru
the trannys from the above cars followed; orange on HighCompression,
RampartRed on Lo (ok, Frank, 'Normal')..

I wish I knew where the photos were of the jobs spoken above, but...well,
like I said, I don't remember Everything!