Re: [Amc-list] Header for Concord Wagon 6cyl?

Re: [Amc-list] Header for Concord Wagon 6cyl?

" From: Richard Estermyer <javelinman74@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" Any suggestions to where to get a header for the 258 in my 1980
" Concord wagon?  Would I notice a difference as I did in the 360 Mat
" wagon? (25% inc).  Advantage over single or split header?  Anyone
" have a lead for one?

clifford - but afaik their offerings are more race than street
oriented.

split headers have the cool factor of letting you run duals all the
way, but since an inline 6 is a pair of even-firing 3s a 'tri-y' 6 ->
2 -> 1 will always give you more power and over a wider range, all
else being equal.  and you could have a muffler shop bend you a custom
2.5" or even 3" single, for low restriction.

someone out there makes a jeep 258 header with pipes from the front 3
and rear 3 deliberately crossed, to give that 'lumpy v8' sound.  i've
never understood why - v8s have to be that way; it's just how the
timing and balance work out for the configuration, but i6s don't, and
it doesn't help power.  probably hurts it.

tri-y [or 'crossfire'] headers on v8s make more power too, but it's
usually impossible to make the pipes reach from one side to the other
in just the tuned length.

you can get 'long tube' headers for the 4.0, but given the cramped
space i don't think they're tuned properly.  even so, they're good for
noticeable 'seat of the pants' midrange power gain.  and that's over a
relatively clean stainless tube stock manifold, and into the stock
exhaust pipe.