[Amc-list] You Can't use a Full Flow Pump on a Partial Flow Block

[Amc-list] You Can't use a Full Flow Pump on a Partial Flow Block

At least that's what appears to the be problem.  I found a torn gasket on the 65 Rambler oil pump assembly and made a new gasket today.  I replaced the pump and cranked the engine with the plugs out to build oil pressure.  It picked up suction because oil became flowing out of a port on the back of the pump.  I couldn't tell where the oil was coming from at first so I replaced the Fram PH11 filter with a Napa Gold 1258 filter which Napa says is the right one.  With the new filter installed oil was still cascading down the side of the pump housing and that's when I notices the open port on the back of the pump.  Upon examination of the pump housing and the two blocks (1963 and 1965) it appears the casting is different (more robust) in the oil pump area.  This larger cast area will cover the open port on the back of the pump which is uncovered when it is installed on a 1963 block.

The oil pump is supposed to be vertical, right?

It appears that I will have to use the partial flow oil pump.  I'm so freekin' disappointed and not a little disgusted that I didn't notice this before.  I could have built the 1965 block if I had paid for additional machining and .080 oversize pistons.

Joe Fulton