Re: [Amc-list] 58-63 American Handling (was !!@@#$@$ clutch linkage)

Shackles also "loosen" up the rear by allowing more side sway due to their design.

If the money is not available for new springs there are two or three options.

My usual mode of attack is to add a second leaf, effectively doubling that leaf.
Just get one from another used pack at the junkyard, except for that whole lack of availability thing now a days!

I actually should have some here I could spare if anyone needs a pair.
I also have doubled the mains by  cutting the bushing loops off too.

The bolt on helpers will do, but you have to watch your springs as they apply pressure in localized areas and wear away at the existing springs in those spots. Given enough time the original springs can weaken and fail.

Be real wary of air shocks or overload coils on the shocks.
The body was not designed to hold weight at that point and the bayonet style have been known to punch up through the trunk floor. Worse yet is if they do not! The added stress in that area over time can cause the spotwelded seams in the surrounding area to fail!
I've not seen more that the hole punched in AMC's, My conv even has a plate from a punch though!, I have seen the spotwelds fail in a similar build Ford Maverick and it made a big mess of things.

as for handling, my 69 has doubled seconds and single mains and thirds, gas shocks, handles great for a car of that era.
--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>