Re: [Amc-list] 58-63 American Handling (was !!@@#$@$ clutch linkage)

Frank Swygert wrote:
> Tom, you're close! I had a "corner carver" 63 American. The total
> suspension setup was HD front progressive rate springs (12% stiffer
> than stock, IIRC), front swaybar from a Spirit (the ends had to be
> straightened in a hydraulic press -- no heat -- and mounts made for
> the arms), half-leaf bolt on helper springs, 7" cast aluminum wheels
> w/ 195/65R15 Bridgestones.

> The sway bar didn't help much at all, the stiffer front springs were
> immediately noticeable!

I forgot you did this -- that all makes sense... personally I like the
soft suspension and jeep-like ground clearance overall though it doesn't
help handling it has its advantages once you learn it.

Progressive springs in front would be a good idea. I won't drop it
though, when lower A-arms don't rest parallel to the ground it's
generally a poor compromise (susp. travel, bump steer, etc).

I can see how the helpers would help out back. The car is perfectly
level with junk in the trunk (and the springs look original, I cannot
believe they're not sagged, usually i replace all springs in cars).

Up front, I did that hack to the lower arms (replaced the skinny shock
spacers with 1.5" OD massive barrel) and made a new shock mount.