-----------
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:43:04 -0800
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

On a more positive note, I've put 8000+ miles on the American, with that
old 195.6 ohv and T-96, this calendar year, most of it highway
commuting. But in town I'm really tossing it around now, the handling is
weird but pretty good in it's own way. I think the biggest handling
limitation is, you can wind the tall, soft springs up in a corner;
too-hard braking or whatever would break the tires loose and the rear
would swing out. I'm pretty sure the solution is a REAR sway bar, nto front.

This little car gets around. I don't abuse it, but I push it a bit in
street traffic and it does just fine. I somehow hate to admit it, but
the ratios in the T-96 are a PERFECT match for this engine. The 3.77
axle is a great compromise, with OD for the freeway.

It's my plan to run the SoCal TT in it next September, a 600 mile road
rally. Hoepfully the new motor will be in by then! (At the rate things
are going...)

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"