Re: [Amc-list] Big three bailout

" From: Joe <jgray_55@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I UNDERSTAND the whole picture on wages/cost per hr to build a car. I
" USED to work for a jap car factory. Of course a NEW to the country
" company like the jap cars do NOT have retirees to support!! IFFF the
" press would explain about the retirees...etc...it would make a HUGE
" difference!!! Also IFFF the senate/house would take TIME to understand
" that fact also.. it would HELP!!  I will never buy a foreign car/truck.
" Like my F-150 JUST fine/also my GT Mustang..and of course all my old
" AMC's that i have!! Just my opinion, Joe

yes, but you are apparently in a minority.  if detroit is already
beating japan on price, falling market share - as the article suggests
- is a sign that buyers don't want what they're selling.  that's what
they need to fix, and that's something a bailout wouldn't touch; it'd
just be 'business as usual'.  i discount all the talk about hybrids as
flashy but empty, and not to the point.

that article did explain about retirees.  if the number is right, they
only add $800/car, not very significant.  but if unions are gonna take
pay concessions, mgmt shouldn't make more than honda's or toyota's
either.

imho detroit needs ch11 reorg, not bailout.

gm has had a front row seat on toyota's methods ever since they sold
their fremont ca plant to them and began rebadging corollas as novas.
have they learned anything?

otoh i hear the biggest resistance to the bailout comes from senators
with foreign car plants in their districts...  that's 'politics as
usual'.	:^*