Re: [Amc-list] Big three bailout

--- On Fri, 12/12/08, Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Big three bailout
> To: Amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 6:30 AM
> " From: Joe <jgray_55@xxxxxxxxx>
> "

> that article did explain about retirees.  if the number is
> right, they
> only add $800/car, not very significant.

You've got to be kidding.  $800 per car is huge.  Do you remember the old
Alex Haley nevel "Wheels" where they were fighting over a $5 part?   That wasn't all fiction.

> gonna take
> pay concessions, mgmt shouldn't make more than
> honda's or toyota's
> either.

And how much to those Jap fat cats make?  Does anyone know?

> otoh i hear the biggest resistance to the bailout comes
> from senators
> with foreign car plants in their districts...  that's
> 'politics as
> usual'.	:^*

And how did those plants get where the are?  The locals and the state goverment gave them huge tax incentives, low cost land, and they chose areas which are traditionally nonunion.    It's not a level playing field and it never has been.  Why is there so much resentment about the U.S. companies when we all like this old rusty U.S. made iron?   What a paradox?
I'd rather see bridge loans made to U.S. businesses than giving financial breaks to homeowners who made stupid decisions about buying a house and signing a mortgage they couldn't afford.  And just like Lee Iacocca did, the U.S. companies if they stay in business, can be expected to repay those loans.

AMC content my MUSTANG fuel tank, MADE IN AMERICA, arrived this week while I was out of town working for a US COMPANY and it will go into my U.S. made RAMBLER this weekend.

Joe Fulton