Re: [Amc-list] Rebel Station Wagon upgrades- Brakes, 4.0, Auto O/D

Re: [Amc-list] Rebel Station Wagon upgrades- Brakes, 4.0, Auto O/D

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
" Stroking the 4.0L with the 258 crank and rods is the best option
" for more power if the 4.0L needs rebuilding anyway.  It's not
" quite that simple -- you either have to dish the pistons or get a
" cam that will bleed off some cylinder pressure.  Either way works
" about the same, though some think the cam solution a "band-aid"
" fix (I don't -- just another way to skin a cat, and it's cheap
" and easy if replacing the cam anyway).  You need bigger injectors
" also, but that's about it.  Power with the bleed-off cam still
" comes up to around 260-265, and you will lose about 2-3 mpg on
" the highway, 3-4 in town.  That's what I lost when I went from a
" stock 4.0L to a 4.6L stroker -- same driving style for both.  I
" don't exactly baby my cars, but I'm not hard on them either.

silvolite now has an off-the-shelf 'stroker' forging for the 4.0, the
kb944.  it lets you use the longer 4.0 rods on the 258 crank and gives
a ~9.2:1 cr with zero deck height for better ping resistance.  they're
available in +.030", +.040", and +.060", but i don't know about std.
with these you should be able to run a stock 4.0 cam or even a milder
258 cam on regular gas.

dunno what they cost either, but you don't need a set of 258 rods [as
cheap as they are] or a new cam to run them.

someone - either here or on strokers@yahoogroups - posted a link to a
site that had delco style disc-type injectors, supposedly better than
bosch style pintle-type that ford [and jeep?] uses, but i can't find
it now.

" All the brakes interchange about the same, as Mark mentioned.  You
" can use later Concord discs on the big cars, they work just fine.
" They will heat up more than the thicker big car brakes, but
" unless you plan on using this thing to tow with a lot it's
" nothing to worry about.

i wouldn't be surprised if a concord wagon weighed pretty much the
same as the rebel.