Re: [Amc-list] Rebel Station Wagon upgrades- Brakes, 4.0, Auto O/D

I just checked -- 67 big car with 232 and auto had 3.54 gears stock, so he should be all set for the AW4. A shorter tire or stiffer gear would be needed for towing, I'd think. If there's not enough gear it will show up by relatively poor mileage. Shipping weight for the 67 wagon was 3287-3288 lb; 86 Cherokee Sport Wagon (4x4) was 3064 w/2.8L V6, 86 Wagoneer Sport Wagon (4x4, V-6) was 3299 in LTD trim. So performance should be about the same as a typical Cherokee w/4.0L -- average around 19-20 mpg (16-17 in town, 22-23 highway).

-----------
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:19:26 +0000
From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx

it's all in the gearing though and the wagon should have 3:54ish stiff in it correct? I don't know for sure though.
I do know we had a 73 Ambo shop car at Tewells in the 80's
258, auto, 3:54 and it would cruise effortlessly up to about 70mph!
 You had a little lag getting there, but for normal everyday use it was fine.
I'd expect the Renix 4.0l with that intake to pull the wagon quite nicely indeed.
I would make sure it had at least 3:31 in the rear though. 3:54 would probably do better as you'd have OD too.
According to Frank the AW4 has less torque converter multiplication so stick slightly steepr on the rear gear.
  For a city car, a 3:73 with a little extra tire may do quite nice indeed!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"